There's an entirely different world outside music, and as much as we here at DIGRadio want to pretend it's all about notes, arrangements, and lyrics, the outside world is just too interesting to ignore altogether. And so, I give you a weekly rundown of all things awesome, awful, and everything else in between happening inside and outside the music scene.
Boys and girls, here are my DIGs of the Week.
I'm not digging...
1. The new burger that a popular fast food chain is offering. Come on. A strip of cheese ON TOP of a bun? That's not practical for orders to go. Plus, it looks tacky.
2. The weakened state of the Philippine king of comedy. Who didn't grow up watching Dolphy? He has brought smiles to Filipinos for decades, thus practically making him part of the core of the Filipino. It's going to be hard to imagine a world without him.
3. P-Pop. I've always had my issues with Philippine pop culture introducing blatantly ripped-off stuff to the masses. The latest "phenomenon" of chinitos dolling themselves up to look like our South Korean neighbors particularly leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We have enough authentic South Koreans in the country already, people. You don't have to follow suit.
4. This new radio plug on a masa radio station. It's one thing to air dumb, passé jokes on the air, it's another to subliminally implant in people's minds that they're dumb. Hearing something like (*chuckle* *high-pitched delivery*) “Ang tanga-tanga ko talaga," doesn't make anyone better, really.
5. The weather. Somebody actually bashed me for talking too much about the weather during my days with NU107, but that won't stop me from ranting about it. Mother Nature is showing us who the bigger bitch is by subjecting us to roller-coaster-like condition changes. It's not fun to sweat all day because of humidity and get drenched at night because of strong rains. Seriously.
6. Cab drivers who wouldn't give you your proper change because they don't have change. I thought I was over this. Apparently, I'm not. Dear idiots, having no change isn't enough ground for you to swindle a few extra bucks from your passengers.
I seriously dig...
1. The Miami Heat's 2012 NBA Finals win. Yeah, you heard me. It's really about time LeBron got his ring. Whether you like him or not, you've got to admit, he's phenomenal on the court. Unfortunately, that doesn't do much in terms of the fanbase of LeBron haters. Mere hours after the finals was through, haters have moved from the no-ring jokes to the one-ring jokes. But hey, he's a champ now, and we're all expecting more.
2. That new Dairy Queen Blizzard-in-a-cone thing. Sure, it's expensive at P99 a pop for 9 ounces of ice cream, but hey, it looks too damned appealing to not buy. Let's face it, ice cream cone + Blizzard = win.
3. The steady support online music communities provide for local musicians. Radio's not exactly a non-factor, but the information age does work its magic to advance this new generation of Filipino artists.
4. That sketch on the Jimmy Kimmel about that new burger. I won't even talk about this one. Just watch the damned video.